Sensitive Sally & The Accusers

thehopevsthereality

An Open Letter To All Well-Meaning Friends:

From the time I was about 13, people have been harassing me about makeup.

… 

 

Making Up Perfection + I’m Not Perfect

FOUNDATION

In general, I’m not a focused individual.   … 

 

That Time Of Day

Nightly Sadness

Between the hours of 6 PM and 9 PM, I am at my lowest point emotionally. … 

 

Totally Bats #1: Conversationalization

Just in case anyone was wondering....

 

Southern Gothic

meme best cemeteries

I’m a slow learner, and an even slower doer.  I think this is why going back to school has been semi-stressful for me; I often like to take a while to think about a thing – undisturbed – before embarking on the task of [insert task here].

Unfortunately, Life insists on moving at its own rate instead of mine for most things.  But, better late than never, eh?

I’ve always had a love-dislike relationship with makeup & hairdos & fashion.  A lot of folks may think it’s because I’m lazy, but it’s not.  That’s, at most, only about 20% of the reason.  The other 80% has a LOT to do with self-confidence, body acceptance, and creepy, horror-movie mirrors.  (Oh, those mirrors!)

I’m not the most confident person in the world.  (There’s probably reasons, but I think I’ll just leave that in the past with my former therapists.)  The mental, emotional, and sometimes physical processes I have to go through to conquer self-doubt when it’s in full-force can be outright exhausting, and that’s just with practical goals like careers and baking!  But personal appearance?!  

For.  Get.  It.

As I get older, it’s gotten better.  What normal, emotionally-healthy people experience in their teens and early 20s, I didn’t start experiencing until my late 20s, early 30s.  (I did say I was slow, right?!)

With all that said, I’m now wanting to start a new section of BitB entitled “Southern Gothic”, which is all about being Goth in the South.  (I know; original, right?)  What this will include are fashion and make-up posts, for the most part.  Like, 90-95% of it.  The rest will, obviously, be complaining about why I can’t wear velvet even in the Fall ’round these parts.

While I know that there are a *lot* of Goth fashion blogs out there, I don’t think there’s a lot of unity for Goths in the Southeastern US.  Unless you live in a big city like Birmingham, Atlanta, or Dallas, finding other Goths – much less validation for being Goth in the South – can be an exercise in frustration.

So, here you go:  The first ever BitB:  Southern Gothic post.

Happy?  Scared?  Confused?  Great!  Leave me a (polite and non-abusive!) comment with your thoughts and questions.  :)